GOVERNMENT OF ODISHA
No : 8741 Dated : 31.03.2017
Sub: Revision of norm for sanction of House Rent Allowance for urban areas
1. In terms of Para-3(a) of Finance Department O.M. No.55376/F., dated 26.12.2008, a Government employee staying in a hired accommodation/living in his house within 8 KM of his Head Quarters shall be eligible for House Rent Allowance.
2. In view of rapid urbanization and expansion of the limits of urban local bodies the norm for eligibility of House Rent Allowance in urban areas needs to be revisited. It may not be feasible for all to reside within 8 KM from the Head Quarters. This causes hardship to the employees as the latter have to forego their entitlement to House Rent Allowance if they reside beyond a distance from 8 KM from the Head Quarters.
3. Representation from different quarters have been received regarding the financial constraints faced by the Government employees due to operation of 8 KM limit in urban areas for sanction of HRA.
4. The State Government after careful consideration, have been pleased to decide that for urban Headquarters, the Government employee staying in a hired accommodation/own house either within a radius of 8 KM from Headquarter or the limits of the Urban Local Body (Municipal Corporation, Municipality and Notified Area Council) will be eligible to draw House Rent Allowance on submission of a declaration to that effect (as at Annexure ).
5. This shall come into force with effect from 1st April 2017 and all other terms and conditions in the above referred O.M. No. 55376/F., dated 26.12.2008 stand unaltered.
Tuhin Kanta Pandey
Principal Secretary to Government
Download PDF : Odisha House Rent Allowance