HEALTH & FAMILY WELFARE DEPARTMENT
No HFW-MEI-MISC-0007-2019/5202 Dated: 26.02.2019
SUBJECT- Guidelines for engagement of Assistant Professor /Associate Professor /Professor in Government Medical/Dental Colleges in the State of Odisha on contractual basis.
Whereas Government in a step to generate more doctors in the State and to address the dearth of doctors, has established four new Medical Colleges and still more are in pipeline. To accomplish the requirement of adequate faculties so as to get the MCI nod, active recruitment process is needed to engage the faculties at all levels i.e. Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor. As the selection by the Odisha Public Service Commission takes time to select faculties contractual engagement has become inevitable. At present there are no approved guidelines for such contractual engagement of faculties. Hence steps have been taken to frame guidelines to be followed to get candidates on basis of uniform criteria.
Government after careful consideration has been pleased to formulate the following guidelines for selection of faculties for Government Medical Colleges, at level of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor on contractual basis in conformity with the “Minimum Qualifications for Teachers in Medical Institutions Regulations, 1998” of Medical Council of India notified from time to time in force.
1. Title & Commencement: The guidelines shall be called the “Guidelines for selection of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor on contractual basis in the Government Medical / Dental Colleges of State of Odisha”.
2. Objective and Applicability of the Guidelines:
2.1. Present guidelines are meant to strengthen and streamline the selection and engagement of the Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor on contractual basis in the Government Medical Colleges of the State of Odisha superseding earlier notifications / resolutions / instructions etc made by Government in this regard. These guidelines shall be effective from the date of its notification.
2.2. Government may issue revised circulars/notifications from time to time, if so required, after careful examination of the outcome of these guidelines.
3. Appointing Authority:
The Director Medical Education & Training, Odisha shall be the appointing authority for the Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor to be engaged on contractual basis in different medical colleges. However, if required, in exigency, the Director Medical Education & Training may direct, with the approval of Government, the Dean & Principal of the concerned Govt. Medical College to conduct the selection and send the select list along with the proceedings to DMET Odisha. For all such selections by DMET Odisha or Dean & Principals, DMET, Odisha shall issue the appointment order and send the same along with the proceedings for obtaining post facto approval of Government.
4. Age Limit: The upper age limit up to which the selected Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor can work on contractual basis is 70 years. Hence to make it feasible for any selected candidate to work for at least one year, the age at the time of application must be less than 69 years. There shall be no further age relaxation in any category of candidates.
5. Eligibility and Qualifications for Assistant Professor:
5.1 The candidate must be a citizen of India.
5.2.1 The candidates must possess MD/MS/MDS/DNB Degree in the concerned discipline from any MCI/DCI permitted/approved/recognized Medical/Dental College and/or any other academic qualification with such additional teaching experience in the subject as may be prescribed by MCI/DCI from time to time in force.
5.2.2 Candidates having M.Sc. (medical subjects) in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Microbiology subjects will be considered if sufficient candidates with PG degree/ DNB are not available and subject to the limitations as may be prescribed by MCI from time to time.
5.3 The Medical Graduates must have registered their Medical Qualification at Central/ State Medical /Dental Council. (Permanent Registration)
5.4 The above qualifications must have been obtained on or before the date of counselling/ interview
6. Eligibility and Qualifications for Associate Professor:
6.1 The candidate must be a citizen of India.
6.2.1 Must have academic qualification as prescribed by MCI/DCI from time to time in force. Teaching experience for such number of years as Assistant Professor in the subject in the recognized Medical College, with minimum of such numbers of research publications, during the tenure of Assistant Professor or any such other eligibility criteria, as may be prescribed by MCI/DCI as the case may be from time to time.
6.2.2 The requisite experience & other requirements for equating a Consultant or Specialist as “Associate Professor” (after possessing postgraduate medical degree in the subject) shall be as prescribed by MCI/DCI from time to time in force.
6.2.3 In case of non-medical teacher, the candidate must possess the Ph.D. Degree or any other qualification in the concerned subject as may be prescribed by MCI/DCI as the case may be from time to time.
6.2.4 All Qualifications as on the date of counselling shall be considered.
7. Eligibility and Qualifications for Professor:
7.1 The candidate must be a citizen of India.
7.2.1 Must have academic qualification as prescribed by MCI/DCI from time to time in force. Teaching experience for such number of years as Associate Professor in the subject in the MCI/DCI recognized/approved/permitted Medical College, with minimum of such numbers of research publications, during the tenure of Assistant Professor and Associate Professor or any such other eligibility criteria, as may be prescribed by MCI/DCI as the case may be from time to time.
7.2.2 The requisite experience & other requirements for equating a Consultant or Specialist as “Professor” (after possessing postgraduate medical degree in the subject) shall be as prescribed by MCI/DCI from time to time in force.
7.2.3 In case of non-medical teacher, the candidate must possess the Ph.D. Degree or any other qualification in the concerned subject as may be prescribed by MCI/DCI as the case may be from time to time.
7.2.4 All Qualifications as on the date of counselling shall be considered.
8. Selection Process :
8.1 Selection shall be done in August /September of every year. In case vacancy still exist it may be done as and when required or in view of MCI Inspection. DMET shall float advertisement keeping in view of the stipulations made in these guidelines.
8.2 The selection will be conducted through a Committee constituted for the purpose by the DMET, Odisha or by the Dean & Principal of the Medical College if permitted by DMET, Odisha.
8.3 Reservation Policy: As the posts are purely contractual in nature and tenure posts there shall be no reservation.
8.4 Selection will be strictly on the basis of merit list prepared on basis of career marks. Weightage for different examinations shall be as under: HSC/Matriculation- 20% of total percentage of marks secured.
Intermediate Science- 20% of total percentage of marks secured.
MBBS/BDS/M.Sc. examination- 60% of total percentage of marks secured.
One mark will be deducted from the total Career Mark for each extra attempt taken to pass the examination
8.4.1 In case of tie it will be resolved as follows:
220.127.116.11 The candidate securing more mark in MBBS/BDS/ M.Sc. shall be placed in higher rank.
18.104.22.168 In case of further tie the elderly candidates shall be placed higher in rank to the younger.
8.5 A merit list will be prepared and approved by the constituted Committee and engagement will be made on the basis of the choice of institution /subject exercised by counselling in online or on personal appearance as may be notified.
8.6 The Selection Authority at their discretion may short-list the merit list to a reasonable number as per available vacancy.
8.7 A waiting list will be prepared by the committee on basis of merit which will remain valid for a period of one year from the date of its publication. In case any vacancy arises within the validity period of the notified vacancy in the advertisement, shall be filled up from the waiting list. If additional vacancies are created which were not notified in the advertisement a separate selection process shall be done.
8.8 In case of non-availability of suitable candidates from the waiting list, fresh advertisement shall be published.
9. Terms and Conditions :
9.1 They must follow the job responsibility notified by Government from time to time. They shall be disengaged for not fulfilling the job responsibilities.
9.2 The faculties remaining absent unauthorised for more than 15 days will be disengaged by the appointing authority by serving a notice of 30 days.
9.3 The faculties whose tenure is terminated for any reason by the appointing authority will be debarred from being selected for a period of next three years.
9.4 The engagement shall be purely temporary and on year to year tenure basis and may be for a maximum period of four years subject to satisfactory performance. However the Government reserves the right to terminate the services of the faculty with one month prior notice thereon from either side.
9.5 Performance appraisal certificate is to be prepared by the HOD of the concerned Departments and to be submitted to the Dean & Principal of the institution for renewal/extension of their tenure in the post. During the tenure period and upon receipt of any unsatisfactory performance report at any point of time from the concerned authority, the engagement of the faculties concerned shall be terminated by the appointing authority. Such decision shall be final and binding.
9.6 Attendance and Leave
9.6.1 Casual leave: Each faculty is eligible for casual leave not exceeding 15 days in a financial year and not more than 10 days leave can be availed at a time including Sundays and Holidays. The Head of the Department/ Head of the institution shall be the sanctioning authority for same.
9.6.2 Special Casual Leave:
22.214.171.124 The Dean / Principal are the sanctioning authority. He/She is eligible for 15 days of Special Casual Leave in one year for attending the Conference / Workshop/ CME / Fellowship etc. for updating knowledge and skill.
126.96.36.199 He/She shall submit a request letter through proper channel with a copy of the brochure/invitation/registration, at least 15 days prior to the date of the conference. They are permitted to attend such programme without affecting the routine work of the Department concerned.
188.8.131.52 He/She may be permitted for attending such event which is at the discretion of the Head of the Institution after assessing the genuineness of the programme and utility of the particular course/ conference for the training purpose.
184.108.40.206 A faculty is permitted to attend for not more than two such events in an academic year.
220.127.116.11 No TA/DA will be paid. The leave is granted for the actual days of conference and for journey depending upon the location. He/She must produce conference attendance certificate within one week from the date of return, failing which the special casual leave shall be treated as casual leave and in case the casual leave is already exhausted the period of such absence shall be treated as leave without pay.
9.6.3 Maternity leave:
18.104.22.168 Female contractual employees, who are married and have less than two surviving children, would be eligible to get the benefit of “absence from duty” on maternity ground in terms of instructions / circulars issued by Finance Department from time to time.
22.214.171.124 In case the leave period exceeds 15 days, the same shall be sanctioned by DMET, Odisha.
9.7.1 No faculty shall leave the country without prior sanction by the Institute. Any violation will be taken seriously and shall warrant termination of engagement.
9.7.2 Private practice: They shall not refer patients under their care to outside institutions without approval of the institutional referral committee. Private practice beyond the duty hours are permissible.
9.7.3 In no case, transfer from one institution to another shall be allowed.
9.7.4 Government reserves the right to utilise the services of the faculties as per need in exigency of public service as the case may be.
By Order of the Government
(Dr. Pramod Kumar Menerda)
JOB RESPONSIBILITY OF ASSISTANT PROFESSORS
The Assistant Professor are required to perform the following duties and as may be assigned to them by the Head of Departments/ Head of Institution/Government from time to time.
1. Assistant Professors shall work under one unit head.
2. Shall conduct bed side teaching / tutorial teaching / didactic teaching including teaching in practical / demonstration / theory teaching and field teaching where necessary.
3. Maintain attendance registers of the students and their progress records.
4. Duties connected with the conducting the examination of the students.
5. Manage Laboratory and Demonstration work.
6. Examination of Samples / imaging etc.
7. Involvement in Research activities and taking part in the Seminar.
8. Take care of the patients in the wards / operation Theatre / Labour room etc.
9. Accompany Head of the Unit / Department in his ward round.
10. Carry out of the instructions of the senior teachers / Head of the Unit / Department with regard to investigation and treatment of patients / administration of anaesthesia etc
11. Maintain records of the patients in the wards and of their discharge or death. In case of birth and death he will report to Record-Room for onwards transmission to the municipality.
12. Follow up necessary compilation of the records in the Record-Room. In Medicolegal cases they are to process the records for the Court / Police.
13. On the allotted days carry out treatment of the out patients and take up admission of patients to the indoor as per guidance of the Senior Teacher / Head of the Unit. They shall work in the OPD on the days allotted to the senior teacher or Unit Head or Head of the Department.
14. Perform emergency duties in the Wards / Causality / Operation theatre as the case may be and remain in the place of duty physically. While on duty they may look to the general condition of the ward, supervise the work of the staff on duty and report to the Head of Department / Unit in case he considers necessary.
15. During the emergency duty they are to attend the patients and take care of their treatment and if necessary requisition the necessary services of Senior Teacher / Head of the Unit.
16. Remain in-charge of the museum and be responsible for preservation of specimen etc.
17. Remain in-charge of the stock and store of the Unit / Department if required by Head of the Department / Unit.
18. Perform Medico-legal work.
19. Attend Courts on receipts of summons as and when necessary.
20. Attend to extracurricular responsibilities (Hostel, Library, Athletics, Academic Societies, and N.S.S. etc.) as will be assigned by the Head of the Institution.
21. Perform any other work in the interest of the Institution / Public duty as will be assigned by the Head of the Institution Department / Unit from time to time.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY OF ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND PROFESSOR
The Professor/Associate Professor are required to perform the following duties and as may be assigned to them by the Head of Departments / Head of Institution/ Government from time to time.
1. Contractual Professors in a discipline cannot remain as the head of the Department.
2. Will remain in-charge of Library / Sports / Cultural / Academic/ Stores / Purchases etc. as and when will be assigned to him / her by the authorities from time to time.
3. Will help the local authorities and Government in disbursement of health care or any other matter as deemed fit from time to time.
4. Will keep and provide vital Statistics information of his/her Department / Unit to the authorities at the time of need.
5. He / She will be directly responsible to the Principal (for teaching) & Superintendent, (for treatment)
1. Will remain responsible for the patients in indoor and outdoor for their smooth management.
2. Will undertake the timely round of the words / unit daily and maintain the procedure records in O.T.
3. Will authorize the juniors from time to time for discharging patients care in his / her Department / Units.
4. Will remain responsible for patient admission / treatment / procedures performed in his / her Department /Units.
5. Will attend emergency calls when needed.
1. Will remain responsible for all the teaching activities of UG & PG in respect of theory / practical / clinical etc.
2. Will maintain the attendance of the students in all such classes and delegate such classes to junior faculties / residents where ever needed.
3. Will maintain the academic calendar, teaching scheduled of PG/UG students.
4. Will conduct Special Seminar, Conference etc. for up gradation of knowledge & skill of Junior faculties / Residents / Tutor of the Department / Unit.
5. Will be the guide of PG Students and other Research scholars for their thesis work.
6. Will conduct the examination of the PG / UG students of the Department as well as arrange the examination to be conducted.