Minor irrigation projects are environment-friendly and they provide gainful employment opportunities to the rural population, resulting in optimum utilization of resources. A large number of small irrigation projects on streams & rivulets can provide irrigation to the lands of tribal beneficiaries. The technology close to the heart of the tribal and the projects are therefore amply suitable for self-management. The Pani Panchayat scheme has aroused widespread enthusiasm. Requests are pouring in to set up new minor flow and lift Irrigation projects and revive the derelict ones. It is, therefore, felt that new emphasis on minor & lift Irrigation projects can be cast in the mould of Pani Panchayats, which will provide increased momentum to the campaign. With the above objectives in view, State Government during 2001 launched a new scheme named as “Biju Krushak Vikash Yojana”.
Procedure for Sanction of Projects
1. There shall be an open invitation to the farmers to form themselves in to a registered Pani Panchayats in order to derive benefit of irrigation assistance from the Government. These associations should be formed around potential irrigation projects, minor (flow) as well as minor (lift). The application for such projects should be addressed to the Collector of the district under the title of “Biju Krushak Vikash Yojana”.
2. Proposal received by the Collector will be surveyed by the appropriate departmental engineers at the district level as follows:
(a) Lift Irrigation Projects above 4 ha. by Executive Engineer / Asst. Engineers of OLIC.
(b) Minor (flow) Irrigation Projects with ayacut less than 40 ha. by Engineers of Block / DRDA / ITDA / Soil Conservation Organization.
(c) Minor (flow) Irrigation Projects with ayacut of 40 ha. and above by Engineers of Minor Irrigation Organization.
3. The estimate of feasible Projects will be technically sanctioned by the Engineers of appropriate Department according to the delegation of powers of their respective Department. The cost of survey should be borne by the respective Departments.
4. The project found technically feasible shall be posed to different agencies by the Collector as follows:
• Lift Irr. Project above 4 ha.- DRDA / ITDA / OLIC
• Minor (Flow) Irrigation Projects below 40ha. -DRDA / ITDA
• Minor (Flow) Irrigation Projects above 40ha. -Chief Engineer, M.I.
Mode of Funding
The assistance will be limited to 80% of the estimated capital cost and contribution of Pani Panchayat shall be 20% of the cost. In case of tribal sub-plan areas and KBK districts, the assistance may be raised to 90% of the capital cost. The Pani Panchayat may contribute its share either in cash or in terms of labour or in the form of land etc. The assistance to a Pani Panchayats towards the capital cost shall be given only after it is registered as Society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, for which a model bye-law will be furnished by the DOWR.
Funding for execution of MIPs and LIPs in KBK districts are to be met by availing loan from NABARD under RIDF and from Special Component assistance (SCA) received under RLTAP.
9723Lift Irrigation projects under OLIC and 2854 Lift irrigation Projects under OAIC and 84 Minor Irrigation Projects have been takenup, out of which 9099 L.I.Ps under OLIC and 2335 L.I.Ps under OAIC and 84 MIPs have been completed upto end of March 2017 and additional irrigation to 197.622 thousand hectares under OLIC and 50.508 thousand hectares under OAIC have been created.