GOVERNMENT OF ODISHA
No. 31898/F Bhubaneswar, dated 25.11.2016
Shri C.P. Mohanty,
Special Secretary to Government.
The Principal Secretaries/
Secretaries/Special Secretaries to Government.
All Heads of Departments/
Sub: Allotment of Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN) to new recruits eligible to be covered under National Pension System (NPS).
The New Restructured Defined Contribution Pension scheme (NPS) has been introduced by the State Government for all persons appointed in Pensionable Establishments under the Government of Odisha with effect from 01.01.2005 vide Finance Department Notification No. 44451/F, dated 17.09.2005.
2. It has been instructed in the office Memorandum No. 30132/F dated 13.07.2006 that the recoveries of employees covered under NPS will start from the salary of the month following the month in which the Government Servant has joined service.
3. Earlier it had come to the notice of the Government that, in many cases the DDOs are drawing the NPS contributions of the government employees covered under NPS after a gap of six to eight months from the date of joining of the employees. This had created serious dislocation in regular contribution to the NPS account of the employees.
4. Thus, it was reiterated for information of all Departments, Heads of Department and Collectors vide Finance Department letter No. 3695/F dated 07.02.2013 that, deduction of NPS contribution of employees covered under NPS will start from the salary bill of the month, following the month in which the government servant has joined the service in order to avoid in any dislocation in regular contribution to the NPS account of the employees.
5. In the very recent past many employees have joined government services under pensionable establishment in different capacities. The employees eligible to be covered under NPS are required to be allotted with Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN) by NSDL – Central Record Keeping Agency at an early date for deduction of NPS contributions. DDOs concerned are to take immediate necessary steps for allotment of PRAN to such employees so as to ensure deduction of NPS contributions in time. Delay in deduction of these NPS contribution will cause serious dislocation in regular contribution to the employees account.
6. Hence, it is once again reiterated that the contribution to the NPS fund shall start mandatorily from the salary bill of the month, following the month in which the Government servant has joined the service. For example if the employees joining services in the month of November, 2016, deduction to contribution shall start from the salary bill of December, 2016 to be paid in January, 2017. This is to be followed by all DDOs concerned scrupulously. The DDOs concerned shall be held responsible for any deviation in this regard.
This may kindly be treated as ‘Most Urgent’.
Special Secretary to Government